Home Blog Page 684

Paphos Property Developer Charged and Released

A PAPHOS property developer who was arrested last Friday and remanded in custody on suspicion of obtaining money from buyers with intent to defraud has been released two days early on medical grounds, sources said.

Police would not confirm why the suspect had been released, only that he had been charged and that the investigation was ongoing.

Costas Papaioannou, owner of Costas Papaioannou Developers Ltd, was remanded in custody for five days by a Paphos Court on Friday, after a complaint was filed by lawyer Chrysa Christofi, who was representing four British families.

Speaking to the Cyprus Mail yesterday, Christofi said there was a possibility that two more clients would join the civil suit against the developer, even though she had not represented them in their purchase of the property.

However, the lawyer was quick to point out that Papaioannou’s alleged fraud was not indicative of all developers’ practices and should not deter investors from buying in Cyprus.

What this developer seems to have done is not what all developers do, which is why we want to quash it, because we wouldn’t want expatriate investors feeling unsafe from investing in Cyprus,” she said.

Christofi said that as long as buyers sought independent advice and didn’t use developers’ in-house solicitors, and the purchaser obeyed the rules and regulations which govern purchasing (such as having the contract stamped at the tax office and deposited at the land registry) , then there would be no problem.

We wouldn’t want foreign expatriates to lose confidence in our marketplace,” she added.

CID investigators believe that Papaioannou began two separate projects in 2004, in which he bought land in the Paphos villages of Yeroskipou and Chlorakas, planning to build apartment blocks.

The suspect is suspected of receiving over £250,000 to build apartments in the Paphos district that were never completed because he failed to receive building permission.

Papaioannou then allegedly fled the island and was only arrested after news of his return.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2006

Cyprus Could Suffer from Nightmare Property Red Tape

IF THE problem with the title deeds is not resolved soon, Cyprus will suffer irreparable damages both on a local and an international scale, chartered surveyor and property appraiser Antonis Loizou warned yesterday.

Loizou was speaking after a meeting of the House Commerce Committee, which discussed the difficulties faced by house buyers.

The property appraiser said the main problem in Cyprus was the non-availability of land, and the time-consuming proceedings to obtain building permits.

In order to construct a new building, you need at least 12 licences,” said Loizou, adding: “It takes seven to eight months for each licence to be issued. And then it takes four to five years after it is built to obtain its title deeds.

The lengthy delays in obtaining title deeds have reached such dimensions, not just with locals but with foreigners who have bought land on the island, that it will soon be broadcast in a documentary on Britain’s Channel 4, something Loizou warned could be a blow for economy.

Cyprus receives around £700 million a year from foreign property buyers. If this problem continues, foreigners will be put off,” he said.

And the Turkish Cypriot side may take advantage of this weakness, he added.

Turkish Cypriots will now say: ‘You have problems over there with your title deeds? Then come over here’.”

Referring to the problems faced by the average family to purchase a new home, Committee Chairman Lefteris Christoforou of DISY said it was the state’s obligation to offer a solution to the problem.

The prices are unattractive and 28 to 30 per cent of the costs to build new buildings go to the state. I believe the state should collaborate with Parliament and implement a directive, simplifying all the procedures needed to obtain licensing.”

He added that it was unacceptable for Cypriots and foreigners to have to go through such time-consuming procedures in order to obtain their title deeds.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2006

Warning Signs of Worse to Come

MY brother, Dr Christopher Solomon, a retired university professor (his quantum mechanics doctorate investigated Einstein’s Theory of Relativity), lives in a recently constructed bungalow just down the road from that burgeoning expat township of Peyia, situated high on the coastal hills near Paphos. He lives with his wife, Marjorie, a member of the ‘Women Write’ team of playwrights, and their four cats, a favourite being a silver grey Sphinx aptly named Baldric.

Fortunately, they were in a position to supervise the construction of their new home, and with the help of their excellent builders ensured high standards of workmanship in accordance with the architect’s plans, submitted and passed by the Paphos District Planning Department.

Their large garden slopes gently down towards the sea, and the previous Friday’s torrential rain failed to uproot any of their many costly shrubs and securely staked trees; unplanted areas had received an ample covering of stone chippings, laid on heavy duty membrane, thus eliminating the risk of mudslides.

But a piece of wasteland beyond became a patchwork of gushing rivulets and mud banks; mud and household rubbish retained by mounds of neglected rubble.

On my return to the capital from ma petite maison de campagne, situated at an altitude of 200 metres, having spent Sunday collecting nuts from my two walnut trees and barbecuing small pieces of pork marinated overnight in red wine, crushed coriander seed and onion (by the way, how does one remove walnut stains from fingers, and that black trapped under fingernails? Please don’t say I should have worn gloves; anyone can be wise after the event!), I checked my inbox and found an email from my brother.

It read: “Did you get any rain, as we have had loads? I reckon we’ve had about 20cm since Friday. Did you see pictures in Sunday Mail of flooded hotel just below us? I believe that many of the properties on the hills of Peyia are also going to come down in the not too distant future. They are building more and more on the steepest slopes, with little foundation and inadequate supporting walls. The bedrock is also soft and some washes away with every storm.Developers sell property in Peyia with the slogan, ‘Peyia Dream’. It has become ‘Peyia Nightmare’; building anywhere and everywhere, a concrete jungle and no longer the pretty village it once was.Natural drainage ravines, over thousands of years in the making, have been filled in and built on. So-called superior developments look cheap and nasty, an eyesore to any village; ugly blocks that have no gardens or trees, no colour other than grey. How they get planning permission to build such monstrosities is a mystery.

One such has its foundations sitting on a two-foot dry stone wall. In the recent rains, tons of rubble ended up on the drive of the house below.

We have a friend whose bungalow is situated feet away from a towering concrete wall; behind it, developers have built a massive block of apartments. If the wall gave way, their house would be crushed to a pulp. Marjorie reckons she can envisage such a catastrophe, even worse, a domino effect!

Of course, nothing will be done about passing such thoughtless plans until a disaster happens!

Peyia Dream, I should coco!

Bye for now, Chris.”

Every year, during summer storms, there are flash floods in the department of l’H?rault in Southern France. News broadcasts repeatedly blame planning departments for permitting overdevelopment of the region – mostly retirement maisonettes for northerners – trees are felled, land is covered with concrete and rainwater can no longer drain into the ground naturally; instead it rushes down the slopes into the valley housing estates and sits a metre high in the kitchens and lounges of these quick build homes. Residents are photographed from helicopters, helpless on roofs, in rowing boats clinging to their pets or mopping up the day after.

The Roman town of Avignon is particularly vulnerable, situated on low ground and dominated by the majestic River Rhone. At last, the local council, with government aid, are constructing dykes and parallel drainage canals.

The Roman town of Avignon is particularly vulnerable, situated on low ground and dominated by the majestic River Rhone. At last, the local council, with government aid, are constructing dykes and parallel drainage canals.Is Paphos District our H?rault?

Theoretically, everything is relative, even though natural disasters like earthquakes are unavoidable. But some catastrophes are, and it’s time that the Cyprus Planning Departments, their unseen building inspectors and the mayor of Peyia in particular, put their houses in order, at present manifesting merely token resistance to this landslide of unchecked construction. Being wise after the event serves little purpose.

My excellent cousin recommended I soak my stained finger in a mixture of lemon juice and salt. I gave him a couple of kilos of walnuts in recompense. But I was obliged to resort to chlorine; that didn’t work either. Then I scrubbed with neat washing up liquid and finally, white spirit. If only I’d worn gloves in the first place…

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2006

Developer Held as British Families Complain of Fraud

PAPHOS police yesterday arrested and remanded in custody a developer on suspicion of obtaining money from four British families with intent to defraud.

Costas Papaioannou, owner of Costas Papaioannou Developers Ltd, was remanded in custody for five days by a Paphos Court after a complaint was filed by lawyer Chrysa Christofi, who is representing the four families.

In total, Papaioannou is suspected of receiving a total of £256,000 from the British families towards flats that were never built.

CID investigators believe that Papaioannou began two separate projects in 2004, in which he bought land in the Paphos villages of Yeroskipou and Chlorakas, planning to build apartment blocks.

The court heard that during that time, he also sought buyers for the apartments through various estate agents, making an agreement with one of the landowners in which he promised to pay him off through the apartment sales.

But things went wrong for Papaioannou when he failed to secure building permits for construction, and was then forced to make cutbacks and halt construction.

He is then alleged to have fled the island, but was arrested yesterday morning with a court warrant, after the lawyer representing the four families learned that he had arrived back in Cyprus.

Other people, who had also bought apartments from Papaioannou, are expected to file complaints in the near future.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2006

Cyprus Building Permits up 13.6% in Jan-July

Civil engineering booms, hotels out of favour.

The number of building permits authorised rose by 28.3% year on year to reach 788 in June and provided for 1,745 dwelling units.

For the first seven months as a whole, the number of building permits authorised rose by 13.6% compared with the same period of 2005 and the value rose by 11.1%. The total area of permits rose by 6.9%.

Permits for residential property rose by 10.1% in the first seven months and permits for non-residential property rose by 19.1%. However, this figure disguises a rise of over 100% for tourist apartments and villages and a fall of over 33% for hotels.

Perhaps because of the upgrading of the airports, civil engineering projects continue to boom.

The number of authorisations for civil engineering projects was up 42.1% year on year in January-July and the value was up by 58.9% to CYP 4.7 mln.

The category called “divisions of plots and road construction” rose by 37.8% in number and 32% in value.

Copyright © 2006 Financial Mirror

Planning Changes Spark Controversy

EVEN before they are fully published, the Local Plans, extending the building zones in the major towns, are causing widespread controversy.

What is causing the debate is the provision allowing detached homes to be built outside residential areas on agricultural land on the outskirts of urban centres.

Explaining the finalisation of the plans by the Council of Ministers, Interior Minister Neoclis Sylikiotis told a press conference yesterday that the aim was to ease the housing problem by increasing the supply of building plots.

He noted that the criteria used were social ? particularly aiming at low- and middle-income groups ? environmental and town planning, so as to fit in with infrastructure projects.

But various professional organisations involved in real estate were quick to question the effectiveness of the measure.

Land valuer Antonis Loizou, of the Land Owners’ Association, said that the detached house provision was likely to benefit high rather than low-income people, who could afford to build large houses of up to an area of 400 sq.m.

Eager

He also claimed that owners benefiting from the change would not be so eager to sell their land for housing purposes, but speculate on it instead. Speaking from experience, Loizou estimated that only one quarter of housing land thus made available would be released to the real estate market soon enough.

He supported the view that the detached house provision could only be worth something if a taxation of idle resources were introduced, as is the case in France.

Lakis Tofarides, President of the Cyprus Land and Building Developers Association, was more categorical.

It is a crime,” he told the Cyprus Weekly. “What’s the point of having the Town Planning Council draw a separation between farming and residential land, if the Council of Ministers can come along and erase it?”

He said that, as a matter of principle, their Association was strongly in favour of the building zones being revised, provided this was done in a transparent way at fixed intervals.

The procedures must be such that the people concerned must know that their property is under review, so that they would not sell agricultural land cheap, only to discover later that it has become residential,” Tofarides said.

Burden

He also noted that building isolated houses outside residential areas will eventually spell a financial burden for the economy as a whole, since infrastructure services such as water supply, rubbish collection and eventually sewage projects would have to be extended to cover the new needs.

Tofarides said that the Association would be putting its views in writing to the competent authorities.

The President of the Cyprus Real Estate Agents Association, Dinos Soteriou, highlighted what he sees as another defect of the changes.

Asked for his comments by The Cyprus Weekly, he said that only those who owned land adjacent to roads stood to benefit from the provisions of the new local plans.

He explained that because of the building development regulations, such owners could withhold access to other landlocked owners, in order to boost the value of their property.

He suggested that the best way to overcome this problem was for the local authorities to undertake the development infrastructure in such areas and make the payment of costs conditional on the issue of the building licence when the time came.

In this way there will be more building plots in the real estate market at more affordable prices, ” Soteriou explained.

The revision and modification of the Local Plans for Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca and Paphos was published in March 2003 and received 3,269 objections, of which 1,500 concerned the detached house provision, especially in Nicosia, Limassol and Paphos.

It took 43 months to examine the objections and finalise the plans.

Presenting the Council of Ministers decision, Interior Minister Neoclis Sylikiots said yesterday that although the land already included in the specified Development Areas covered by the local plans is enough to satisfy the housing needs of the population until 2012, it was decided to extend the boundaries of Residential Zones to match infrastructure projects. Further extension was thought necessary taking into account other local parameters.

According to the revised plans, it is now possible to build up to two private houses in a plot covering an area of 4,000 sq m, whereas the previous 2003 plan allowed for one house only.

The built area of the house is specified at 400 sq m, while for a second house in an 8,000 sq m plot or more, the maximum built area is increased to 600 sq m.

In addition, the construction of a second house is permitted for the needs of a family, with each house not exceeding 250 sq m. In livestock areas, though, the built area must be up to 200 sq m, while in protected areas the maximum built area on any plot must not exceed 240 sq m.
In Nicosia, the extension of the building zone covers areas in Lakatamia to the southwest and Strovolos to the south, while the most important changes affect the communities of Yeri, Tseri and Latsia.

Dialogue

In the particular case of Aglantzia, the Council of Ministers has decided not to include the area adjacent to the University Residences in the extension, with the state buying the properties and offering to compensate the owners.

In Limassol, the communities to be affected by the changes are Pyrgos, Parekklisia, Kato Polemidia, Germosoyia, Agios Athanasios, Pano Polemidia, Ypsonas and Zakaki.

In Larnaka the extension covers Aradippou, Dromolaxia, Meneou and Livadia.

In Paphos the town itself will be affected, Pegia, Kili, Tremithousa, as far as Tala, Kissonerga, Mesogi, Konia, Ayia Marinouda, Echelia, with those in Chloraka, Emba and Mesa Khorio being the most important.

The Local Plans will be published in the Government Gazette and go on the Interior Ministry’s webpage next week.

Sylikiotis said that everybody who feels their interests are negatively affected might challenge the provisions of the Local Plans through the available channels. He stressed, however, that bids for changes should wait until the next revision is due. “We cannot be in constant dialogue,” the Minister said.

By Philippos Stylianou 20th October 2006

Copyright © 2006 Cyprus Weekly